Wednesday 13 January 2010

Tennis: Frederico Gil (POR) bt Taylor Dent (USA) 6-3 6-3



On Sunday I made my first visit to the 2000 Sydney Olympic park at Homebush to see some tennis in one of the warm up events for the Australian Open.

Brad, Chel and I bought ground prices for a very reasonably $10, which gave us access to everywhere except centre court. The day was sweltering and we sat in the back row under our umbrellas to watch Frederico Gil (who?) beat Taylor Dent (at least I've heard of him). It was a good game, but Gil always looked in control.

I've never seen a live game of tennis before, having only watched the Grand Slams on television. It was interesting to see a more "normal" match of tennis. There were only two line judges instead of the six you see on TV and the umpire was making net calls. There still seemed to be a plethora of ball girls and boys.

I was very impressed with the quality of the facilities. I hope that London can match this standard in 2012. Although come to think of it isn't the tennis being played at Wimbledon?


2 comments:

  1. Will you send me some Australian blue grass seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Special Australian product. I'll put some in the post...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.