Tuesday 8 May 2012

Restaurant Review: Rockpool Bar and Grill, Sydney


I'm currently in a whirlwind of trying to pack as much as possible into my final few days in Sydney. Catching up with friends, taking a final dip in the sea and of course eating!

Simon suggested a visit to Rockpool Bar and Grill and a group of us duly descended to try what is tipped to be Sydney's best burger.

Tucked into a corner off the main restaurant, the bar has a classic and sophisticated feel. The first page of the menu contains a list of etiquette on how to behave.

No hooting or hollering

Gentleman, do not approach ladies, and if you are so lucky as to have one approach you, endear her as you would your mother.

Love it.


Ever since burger project I can no longer eat a burger I have to taste and dissect it in the hunt for burger perfection.

For lunch I selected the Greenham Grass Fed Hamburger with Bacon, Gruyere Cheese
and Zuni Pickle
($18). The pattie was tender and flaovursome. For me, the major success of the burger was the bun. The toasted bun was soft, light and had hints of sweetness. Definitely one of the better buns I've eaten.

I found the burger a slightly awkward size. A little too big to eat with your hands. But no matter how sophisticated the bar, eating a burger with a knife and fork just feels a little wrong..... I didn't take much from the elaborate pickles.


Simon ordered the trademark David Blackmore’s Full Blood Wagyu Hamburger
with Bacon, Gruyere Cheese and Zuni Pickle
($24). The main difference between the two burgers is the pattie with most of the other ingredients being the same.

From my small taste of the pattie I did not think it was any more tender than my grass fed burger. The meat of the grass fed burger was more flavoursome too.


Having tried both burgers before Tina opted for the House Made Chorizo Dog with Jalapeno Hot Sauce ($19). The hot dog looked divine and Tina made the big call that it is even better than the burgers.

I'm pleased that I made it to Rockpool. The bar is a swish, if slightly expensive, place for lunch. But it pays to treat yourself every once in a while.

Rockpool Bar and Grill,
66 Hunter St
Sydney
2000
Rockpool Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. You're giving me chorizo cravings again! Will definitely return for the hot dog :) Thanks for organising lunch, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that hot dog has my name on it for next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty good. I loved my dinner last year in the restaurant here...really fancy! Are you leaving Sydney for good?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.