Wednesday 11 January 2012

Granda, 1913 - 2011


Just twenty six days after losing his wife, my grandfather passed away on 30th December, aged 98. It was a privilege to be able to spend his final days with him.

It was rare to see Granda without a suit on. I remember once asking him why he wore a suit gardening. "Well, it's not my best suit" came the reply. Silly me.

He'd often have an old photo in his suit pocket showing a member of the family or his first motorbike.


A master decorator by trade he was retired for my whole life. However, until very recently the family name of R Elliot & Son was still displayed on the old shop. I was always a little proud when we visited one of north Cumbria's smart country houses and I learnt he had decorated the place.

His mother and thirteen siblings, so there were many, many cousins. Granda was full of stories about the family or the history of Brampton. He was a member of the Conservative Club, Bowls Club and Masons. I sometimes though he was part of the history of the town, he seemed to have been present at all the significant events in nearly one hundred years,

I found my grandmother's death very upsetting. Granda's passing was very peaceful, he didn't suffer and I think it was his time to go. I am thankful for a great life.

Granda you will be missed.

xxx

5 comments:

  1. Richard, I'll bet he would have loved reading this. I'm glad you got to spend those last days with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your Granda - he sounds like a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry to hear your sad news, but your Granda would be very pleased with his write up I am sure - it was really sweet. At least they are together now, must have been true love x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Richard - what a beautiful post. Sounds like a beautiful relationship. Condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful post. Ninety eight; now that's a good innings.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.