Tuesday 28 December 2010

Restaurant Review: Le Petit Creme, Darlinghurst


A couple of Saturday's ago I visited Le Petit Créme in Darlinghurst with friends.

It's a small joint that would be easy to walk past, but it was filled with locals and we were lucky to get a table. Event if it was out the back with the parked cars!

There are no menus so we had to pop back inside to read the big chalk board above the bar. For breakfast there's a selection of croque monsieure, omelette's or sweet and savoury crepes.  Our waitress tried to gently steer us towards the house speciality of eggs benedict, which can be served with smoked salmon or ham.


I decided to order a gruyere omelette. It tasted just like I was in France. Which is about the highest praise I can give an omelette in a French cafe. Fresh eggs, butter and strong gruyere flavour. What more could you ask for?


I also tasted the eggs benedict which was far too rich for my tastes. Brioche, smoked salmon and a creamy hollandaise was a bit of an overload. Perhaps the ham would have been a more savoury choice? Or regular bread instead of brioche? My breakfast companions were loving the eggs, so it might just have been my palate / mood.

I had a wry smile that the most authentic French café I've been to in Sydney didn't have a French chef in sight. But as long as they cook like the French does it matter?

Le Petit Creme on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't made it to this place, but was meaning to go so many times! Looks great, the omelette especially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hang about this place A LOT when I first moved to Sydney in the early 90s. My god, and it's still going strong. I've got to get back sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. pics looks absoutely declicious. heard lots of food feedback about their egg benny. must go this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.