Wednesday 27 November 2013

Restaurant Review: Big Red, Deptford

On the top deck of the Big Red

A couple of Saturday's ago I visited the Big Red Pizza Bus in Deptford. I was hearing good things about this place even before I came back to the UK, but it has taken me eighteen months to finally get there.

The Big Red is a deceptive venue. Tucked behind the Birds Nest pub it doesn't look like the most promising location in Deptford and, being frank, the bus looks a little shabby too. However, stepping into the venue it opens up into a large covered courtyard which has been done out with chunky wooden furniture. It was larger and quirkier than the outside would have you believe.

We were offered seats in the courtyard, but it had to be the bus for our first visit and we took a table on the top deck.
Pizza of the day: goats cheese, beetroot and rocket
I ordered the goats cheese, beetroot and rocket pizza of the day. It was a good pizza with a thin base and just a touch of char. I would have preferred a bit more goats cheese in the topping, but otherwise was pretty impressed.

The Italiano had the same thin base and was draped with parma ham.

Italiano
On the way home we swung by the Lai Loi Vietnamese supermarket on Deptford High St. I haven't explored all of the Asian grocers on the high street, but it is my favourite of the one I've stumbled in so far.

The two girls who run the place were telling me about their plans to set up cookery classes next year. I was doing my best to encourage them.

Big Red Bus on Urbanspoon
30 Deptford Church St
Deptford
London
SE8 4RZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.