Saturday 25 April 2009

Friday Cooking: ANZAC Biscuits and Spaghetti Carbonara

In honour of ANZAC Day on 25th April, I made some ANZAC biscuits. Originally baked to send to the troops in Gallopli they are frequently seen in cafes this time of year.

Crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle, they have had the thumbs up from the locals.

For dinner I cooked spaghetti carbonara, which I have never made before. Ubiquitous on all Italian restaurant menus, done well is a dish that I love, but too often it is a disappointment.

I used this Rick Stein recipe. When I saw the dish cooked on TV a few years ago, Rick was adamant that you shouldn't use cream in a carbonara. The sauce should be made solely from eggs. I did some quick research on the web, but couldn't find a definitive answer (I didn't look very hard).

I was pretty pleased with the results. It was flavoursome, rich without being sickly and quick to make. I didn't measure any of the quantities and we ended up with a bit too much pasta compared to the volume of sauce.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.