Sunday 8 March 2009

Chatachuk Market and a Sunday Update

I went to Chatachuk market again yesterday to buy some presents for family with birthdays coming up in the next few weeks. I went with a friend of John's who is also over at the moment. Rukky is native Thai and a fearsome negotiator in the market! I think that she definitely helped me to save a few Baht on my purchases. I would never have been so aggressive in trying to get the prices down. Techniques involved laughing, joking, pleading, feigning horror at the price quoted and most bizarrely tickling the shop owners.

We were still at the market at 6pm, so I tried to take a video of the national anthem playing and everyone standing to attention, with the bemused tourists looking on. Unfortunately it didn't go to plan! The anthem didn't start until about 18:05 and we were in a section of the market where you couldn't hear it very well so not everyone stopped. It won't be winning me a Bafta any time soon!

My friend Olivier arrives for a holiday later this afternoon. He's my regular skiing partner and also been part of my Chilean and Costa Rican adventures. It is going to be great to have him here. We are going down to the island of Ko Samet, so the blog is likely to go quiet for the next few days. I'll be thinking of you all while I am on the beach enjoying freshly caught and BBQ'd sea food. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.