Monday 11 February 2008

National Maritime Museum and The Royal Observatory

My time of leisure has a few more days to run, so I decided to head down to two of the museums in Greenwich to see what attracts all those thousands of tourists in the summer.



My first stop was the National Maritime Museum. Light and airy displays set across three floors explaining our maritime history. Covering all sorts of wonders from the exploration of the Far East and Americas to the rise of cruise liners and mega container ships. My favourite display was an interactive map of the Battle of Trafalgar.



Afterwards I strolled through Greenwich Park up to the Observatory. My favourite display was the camera obscura showing a photo like quality image of the Royal Naval College below.

It must be horrible during the hight of summer as the Observatory is a connection of small buildings that I imagine get very crowded. I was pleased to be visiting on a quiet winter day.



On the Meridian Line, one foot in the east and the other in the west.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.