Saturday 11 March 2017

Hiroshima Peace Museum and Okayama

Our visit to Okayama was my favourite day of our trip to Japan, but it started on a rather sombre note. I woke early and walked the less than five minutes from our apartment to the Hiroshima Peace Museum to get there for opening time.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the museum, but in the end it was one of those situations where there were so many crowds that you could barely see the displays cases. I filed round at the same speed as everyone else and in the end left feeling very little. I've no doubt it would have been a very sombre and moving affair if you were able to experience the museum at a quieter time.
On leaving Hiroshima we decided to break up our trip to Kyoto with a stop in Okayama having read that the gardens there were one of the top three gardens in all of Japan. We jumped out of the bullet train, left our bags at a bike hire shops close to the station (as all of the lockers inside the station were full) and caught a tram across to the gardens.

We had glorious sunshine and the gardens were simply stunning. I'm not sure my description would add much so I'll let you enjoy the photos and point you in the direction of the official website if you'd like to know more.



After our hour in the gardens we headed back to the station, collected our bags, picked up a quick bento box from a supermarket in the station and then it was onwards to Kyoto where one of my favourite days was topped off with one of my favourite meals of the holiday too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.