Saturday 9 March 2013

Macbeth @ The Last Reguge in Peckham


Given how much I enjoyed my trips to the Belvoir back in Sydney (thanks Dave for all the tickets!), it has taken me a long time to visit the theatre here in London. On Thursday night I finally put that right with a visit to The Last Refuge theatre in Peckham to see a performance of Macbeth by the Company of Shadows.

The theatre is located down a suitably dark and edgy passage between two buildings, in what feels like a converted garage. It was pretty nippy during the performance, but luckily they'd provided the audience with blankets to keep us warm.

The performance was a modern interpretation of Macbeth and they used the theatre space really well. Both acts started in the bar with the audience being led round the outside of the theatre and in via the back of the garage at the start of the show. The simple set was used to good effect. The lighting was excellent, particularly during the fight scenes.

The cast seemed pretty diverse. Marcus Adolphy gave an engaging performance of Macbeth. Full of emotion he was the best actor on the night for me.

The performance wasn't quite Belvoir standard, but did remind me that I enjoy going to the theatre every once in a while. I'm keen to check out New Cross' small theatre next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.