Thursday 21 February 2013

Valentine Dinner at the Phoenix Restaurant, Brockley

Love Hearts - My Budget Valentine

The Phoenix training restaurant at Lewisham College has been on my wish list for years. However, only being open on Thursday and Friday lunchtimes meant I haven't been able to make it before now.

When I read Nick's My Budget Valentine article over on Brockley Central I knew my time had come. It provided a double win of finally get to try the restaurant and sorting out my valentine's day plans. It had absolutely nothing to do with it being the cheap option!

We met some fellow Brockley Central readers on our way to the college, and after the maze of corridors, were welcomed into the restaurant by Orpheus Violinist an excellent string quartet who played throughout the evening to a very high standard.

Orpheus  Violionist quartet

We were looked after during the evening by an enthusiastic group of young students from the college. The front of house team was helpful and seeking to please; even if they weren't the most polished at times.

Chatting to a couple of our chefs at the end of the night they were NVQ Level 2 students who were hoping to take NVQ Level 3 next year or get jobs in the industry. I was told they'd rotated round during the evening to each have a go at all the dishes.

Our chefs for the evening

My favourite dish of the evening was the beetroot tart tartin with goats cheese mousse starter. The slightly sweet breetroot looked great and was well complimented by the goats cheese. The rest of the food was enjoyable, without being exceptional. It is only reasonable to expect highs and lows (of which there weren't too many) from a group of trainees. And at £20 per head you can't quibble.

The evening was a fundraiser for the Mayor of Lewisham's chosen charity and was complete with a raffle and short speech at the end of the night. You can't say I don't know how to show someone a classy time......

Beetroot tart tartin with a goats cheese mousse

Twelve hour shoulder of lamb and rack of lamb

Steamed bachelors pudding

Shortbread Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.