Tuesday 1 February 2011

Restaurant Review: Immanuel Cafe and House

Not long after I moved into my current flat in Ultimo I saw a big queue of people forming down a local side street. I couldn't help but go an investigate and discovered Immanuel Cafe, an unassuming looking Indonesian joint.

I first visited with my sister eighteen months ago and finally returned with an Indonesian friend on a Thursday night. The place is ridiculously cheap, but unfortunately we concluded the food isn't anything to write home about. It wasn't bad, it just failed to inspire.


My favourite dish was the gado gado salad. A sweet, peanuty and crunchy salad of crackers, lettuce, tofu and boiled eggs. Very different as a salad and perhaps a bit too sweet for me.


We also had some kang kung. A bit too salty with too much fish sauce.


Our final dish was ayam panggang. Not particularly exciting roast chicken.

The usual Indonesian students who pack out the place were absent due to the uni's still being on holiday. There were also a few changes since my last visit, so I'm not sure if it might have changed hands recently? Sadly I haven't found a local gem and I don't think I'll be rushing back anytime soon.


Not quite satisfied we walked across China Town to visit House for their BTS dessert. Supposedly standing for Better Than Sex, I can't help thinking it might be a little joke from the Thais. BTS is the name of the Bangkok sky train.

The pandan and coconut ice cream is good. However, I found the coconut and palm sugar caramel just a touch overcooked with a few burnt notes.

Sitting next to the kitchen we got to see a lot of food being cooked fresh and different dishes being despatched from the kitchen. I'm keen to go back to sample more of the menu.

Immanuel Cafe Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.