Saturday 16 October 2010

The oldest mobile phone

I got my first mobile phone in 1999. It didn't take me long to realise that I don't actually spend much money on my phone each month and it works out better for me to be on pre-pay.

I can't remember when I bought my trusty Nokia 3120, but it must have been about five years ago. At first it was out of fashion because it was big, then because it didn't have a camera and more recently because it isn't a smart phone (aka an iPhone).

I haven't really been too concerned, but recently there have been times when being able to check my emails or a map on the go would have been useful. I think it's time for an upgrade.

The idea of signing a two year contract fills me with dread. I can't bring myself to spend £600 / $1,000 on the latest iPhone handset. Last weekend I thought I might have found the answer in the HTC Wildfire, a decently priced smart phone. Yes, it's not the cutting edge of phones, but as the photo above demonstrates, that doesn't really concern me.

However, it isn't compatible with Macs. The idea of trying to 'make' it work or running a Windows simulator isn't that appealing. I guess I'm waiting for the iPod Nano of iPhones.

9 comments:

  1. What do you mean it "doesn't work with Macs"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you go onto the HTC website the list of recommended operating systems only includes various versions of Windows. There are grumbles on the Android forums about a lack of support for Mac OS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure what it is you would be connecting it to your computer for. Apart from transferring music perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I was thinking I'd be connecting to transfer podcasts, synching calendars & music etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well unless a Mac cannot mount a standard USB device then I don't know what the problem is. Calendar synching etc. is done over the air if you have it set up correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ideally I'd like any phone to sync with iTunes so that I get my music and podcasts across.

    I'm not really sure what the tech problems are, but I'm just nervous of spending money on a phone that isn't advertised to work with a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I don't know about that..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been doing a bit more research and an application called doubleTwist might be the way to go to sort out all your synching needs. But there are quite few reviews out there which caution about the gremlins...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's iphone time! =p I was heaps reluctant about signing up too but once I did I kept asking myself why it took so long! Yes it is a hefty amount over 2 years but I just love it! I had a plain nokia before which I had for about 2 years (because my previous phone got stolen after it dropped out of my pocket!)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.