Sunday 22 August 2010

Cooking: Coconut and Lime Slice


Flicking through a recent copy of Delicious magazine I spotted a Bill Granger recipe for a coconut and lime slice. My friends and I have a theory that you never get a bad Bill Granger cake recipe so I decided to give this a go.

As long as you have an electric whisk and a couple of clean bowls this cake is very easy to make and I had it all put together inside fifteen minutes. The method also seems pretty foolproof to follow, a good recipe to try if you're not confident making cakes.

It's a tasty cake recipe and the top is very moist and light. A couple of thoughts / tips from me:
1. This makes a lot of cake! Unless you have twenty people coming round for afternoon tea or want to freeze some for later I'd consider halving the recipe.

2. Although my excellent photography has made the cake look wonderful (!), it is a very one dimensional in terms of colour. If I make the recipe again I'd try and tweak it for presentation. What about adding some cocoa to the base to make it chocolatey? Or going down the retro cheesecake route and setting some berries / jelly on the top?

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 cup / 220g sugar
1 cup / 70g shredded coconut
1/3 cup / 50g plain flour
1 ½ cups / 375ml of single cream
2/3 cup / 165ml coconut milk
Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
Icing sugar to dust

Base:
125g butter
½ cup / 110g sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups / 225g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, line the base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm slice pan.

Make the base. Beat butter and sugar until thick and pale. Add the egg and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and stir until you have a sticky dough. Using floured hands press into the tin and bake for 15mins until golden and firm.

Make the filling. Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl until pale. Add shredded coconut, flour, cream, coconut milk, lime zest & juice and stir to combine. Pour over the base and bake for 35-40mins.

Cool in the pan. Dust with icing sugar and cut into bars.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh yeah I like the sound of cocoa in the base. It would go beautifully with these flavours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh havnt had a coconut slice in years! The addition of lime sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh, Bill Grainger, the only person willing to bring the oomph back into Aussie baking besides the Country Women's Association on Masterchef. He definately has some reliable and delicious recipes like this one.

    I must warn you, you shouldnt trust me with a plate of these. I might just hog it all to myself :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.