Saturday 14 March 2009

Wat Pho

On Thursday Olivier and I went to the Wat Pho temple in Bangkok. This was my second visit to the temple as Wat Pho was the first place that I visited on my inaugural trip to Bangkok back in 2005. Back then the sights, sounds and smells of this city were slightly intimidating to someone who had never been to Asia before. This time catching the Sky Train and river taxi to the temple was a lot more relaxing.

The centre piece of Wat Pho is the the forty six meter long reclining Buddha, pictured above. Certainly very impressive, but my favourite part of Wat Pho are the ornate ceramic rooftops that are atop virtually every building. Back in 2005 the place had the feeling of faded glory and of somewhere in severe danger of falling into disrepair. I'm pleased to report that everything is in a much better state of repair these days.


Olivier and I both had a massage in the temple at the end of our visit. Olivier's first Thai massage and a pretty good one it was too. I had a comical young girl who was insisting on speaking Thai to me and stretching my vocab.

1 comment:

  1. I recommend Wat Pho to those planing to visit Bangkok. This temple is famous for the Reclining Buddha statue. I heard that it is the largest Temple in Bangkok. What you shouldn't miss is to have a really good traditional Thai massage there. Do show respect for the monks when visiting Wat in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.