Thursday 22 January 2009

Thai Food Court

I'm going to try and write a blog post a day while I'm in Thailand. So many new things to write about. I'm being slightly hampered at the moment by not carrying my camera around with me enough!

Today John and I had lunch in the food court at our local Tesco Lotus (it's a bit like being at home, although with an Asian twist).

Food courts are a big part of grabbing a quick and cheap meal in Thailand. Although they have been known to fox even serial travellers like my friend Blue Eyes.

There is always a little counter somewhere in the food court where you hand over your money (100 baht per person should do) and you will be given a book of vouchers or, in the more modern places, a charge card in return.

All the way round the edge of the food court, will be stalls selling a few dishes each. There will also be a drinks counter. Most stalls usually have a picture of what they sell and the price for the uninitiated tourist.

There will be a central area that has forks and spoons, although clean, it is worth dunking them in the boiling water to give them a quick sterilisation.

Order what you want, sit down and tuck in! John and I got all the dishes above and a couple of bottles of water for 120 baht. We each got chicken with rice, a soup and a som tum (spicy papaya salad) to share. Delicious and good practice to build up my chilli tolerance.

When you have finished hand your vouchers back into the desk and they will refund you any unspent money.

2 comments:

  1. Correct, I have never got my head around them. I prefer the street stalls which just sell one thing. I like to think it's the more traditional way of doing things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well..
    Food Truck Wedding

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.