Wednesday 14 January 2009

Ellis Island

Yesterday I took a tour around the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, where there is an Immigration Museum. I'd wanted to go when I was living in New York last summer, but was one of the things that I never got round to.....

In the summer months there are long queues for the tours and even in yesterday's bitterly cold weather I was surprised to see so many tourists waiting to get the boat across to Liberty Island from Battery Park.

Although iconic I wasn't that excited by the Statue of Liberty. Post September 11th you can no longer go to the top, and are now limited to walking round the outside and on the plinth of the great statue. It certainly is impressive, but I had the "if you have seen it once, you have seen it a million times" type feeling. Perhaps the cold was dampening my spirits!

However, I very much enjoyed Ellis Island and the Immigration museum. The informative audio guide gives you lots of information on the number of immigrants that arrived in New York, where they came from and how they were processed. It is amazing to think of the millions of people who arrived in New York to start a new life and not really knowing what to expect.

1 comment:

  1. I have meant to go the last two times in NYC but I seem to get distracted.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.