Saturday 12 January 2008

Restaurant Review: Fifteen



The blog returns to its roots today with a restaurant review. I used to be a bit of a Jamie Oliver super fan (see links on the right) and am a bit surprised that this was my first visit to Fifteen.

My sister, Ruth, and I arrived 15mins early for our table, so had a drink in the buzzing Trattoria before being shown downstairs to the restaurant. The restaurant was a little smaller than I expected. With a contemporary feel (a huge graffiti mural covers the wall next to the kitchen) and a young brigade of professional waiting staff.

To start Ruth choose the celeriac soup and I had the carpaccio of beef. Both were tasty, but we felt the seasoning was a little off and there was no salt and pepper on the tables. For the main course I ordered slow roast saddle of pork and Ruth decided on the beetroot ravioli. I think the pork was the best plate of food I have eaten in a long time. It was beautifully tasty, very tender and came with crispy roast potatoes, parsnips and baby carrots. I didn't try Ruth's ravioli, but she was very complimentary.

For desert I had the ricotta and mascapone tart (pictured above) and Ruth ordered the panetone bread and butter pudding. Great ends to a delicious meal.

All of our food was correctly placed in front of us, without the waiters needing to ask "Who ordered the beef?". Our coats were also waiting for us when we left. Simple touches but they impress because not everywhere else does them.

The final highlight was the Dyson air blade hand dryer in the toilets. Simple things pleasing simple minds and all that.............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.