Saturday 2 June 2007

Restaurant Review: Busaba

Busaba is a small chain of Thai canteen style restaurants in London. Today was my second visit to the branch near Selfridges with my good friend and original Fab Four member Alex.

Busaba has a great atmosphere, with communal chunky square tables, mood lighting and a fantastic smell that emanates from the kitchen. The food is classic Thai with a good range of salads, curries, noodle and rice dishes, that have been given a western presentational twist and aren't quite as ped ped as in Thailand. There was a delicacy and balance to the dishes coupled with quality ingredients that reminded me of Anna's Cafe (see April blog).

My only disappointments are the fact that they don't serve mango with sticky rice as a desert and I am not sure I will ever understand the strange smelling incense that you have to walk past on the way in. Why mask the wonderful smells from the kitchen?

London has some of the best restaurants in the world, but for me where it falls down compared to many other cities, is in the cheap eats category. It seems cursed by over priced mediocracy. Busaba definitely isn't mediocre and thankfully isn't too expensive either!
I love it!

1 comment:

  1. It must be too expensive to rent premises in central London for cheap restaurants though. Shame we don't have the guaranteed weather for outside stalls!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.